Originally formed as the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission of Pulaski County in 1955, Metroplan has served as the area’s federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) since 1972. Its function as an MPO is to work with local governments, the state department of transportation, and local transit providers to determine transportation needs and funding priorities for federal transportation investments. Metroplan also provides general planning, mapping, and technical assistance to local governments.
Over the years, Metroplan helped plan such signature projects as Burns Park in North Little Rock, the open space design for the Pulaski County banks of the Arkansas River – which would become Riverfront Park, and the Big Dam Bridge. Metroplan also helped incorporate the Mid-Arkansas Water Alliance (MAWA) to secure long-term sources of high quality drinking water for the region.
- 2007: Metroplan won national awards for Benton Planning Studies Report and Walkable Cabot.
- 2008: Metroplan created and published a bike map for central Arkansas.
- 2011: Two Rivers Park Bridge officially opened.
- 2012: Arkansas River Trail MOU was signed.
- 2013: Conway-Little Rock Express Bus Feasibility Study completed.
- 2013: The I-630 Guideway Alignment Study was completed.
- 2015: Metroplan celebrated its 60th anniversary.
- 2016: Big Dam Bridge celebrated its 10th anniversary.